Sunday, November 2, 2008

Sad News

This isn't what I wanted to blog about after not blogging for so long- but this was the best way to share the news without having to call and tell all of our family the story over and over.

Late Thursday night we went to Phoenix with our dogs and stayed the night at my parents house. Sometime in the wee early morning hours of the 31st they escaped the backyard and around 6 a.m. I learned that they were missing. We immediately went into action mode placing calls with the different city/county departments etc, going online to post missing dog alerts, Ryan and my dad started driving the neighborhood, I made flyers before I went to work that morning, etc etc. Friday and Sturday we posted flyers and did everything we could, then we had to come home.

Today my dad got a couple of phone calls from our flyers and we ultimately learned that they had both been hit by cars within a mile from my parents house at a busy intersection fairly early in the Friday morning rush hour traffic. They'd been seen by the two people who called laying on a blanket next to eachother on the sidewalk. I'm not sure why we haven't gotten a call from animal control letting us know, because they are microchipped with our information.

I didn't think this news would be so upsetting to me since they really did drive me nuts on a daily basis- but it has really upset us. Hailey of course cried and keeps saying that she misses her dogs, but we had a good talk about how now they get to play with Heavenly Father in heaven and he'll take care of them for us until we can be together again. I also reminded her that Jake, my childhood dog who died last year, is probablly really excited to get to play with them also. I know she's going to remember them and miss them for a long time, but I'm glad that she's young enough that she'll recover easily.

Ryan and I, on the other hand, won't move on so easily. And after having to give up our dog Charlie a few years ago and then wanting to have dogs again for so long, finally getting them and then only having them for 7 months and losing them this way has just been too much of a roller coaster and I don't want a pet again for a long time. I don't think. Time will tell. But for now it's weird to look at the bag of dog food by the back door and the various dog stuff lying around and decide what to do with it.

To be this sad over dogs that drove me crazy and I didn't always like, makes me feel very blessed that I've never lost a human someone who I have been close to. And while I was tellng Hailey, I was glad that it was just our dogs and not a family member. Tonight's family prayers will definitely include prayers of thanks for all of our friends and family who are in good health (and maybe an apology about how much my dogs bark and that we didn't train them better before they went to live in Heaven).

9 comments:

Renae said...

I'm so sad for your family :( I never even got to see them. It's wierd how quickly things can change. Give Hailey a big hug for us.

Mindy said...

I'm so sorry. I don't know what it is lately but it seems like there have been a lot of losses lately that I know of. it's so tough. it seems like the only thing that helps is "time" and prayer of course.

Natalie said...

Oh! I'm so sorry Lindsay! It's so tough to lose pets and it's really tough to try and explain your loss to those who haven't had or lost pets before! My heart is with you! It's tough! Time will heal. Hopefully, someday you can consider pet parenthood again. You have a good heart perfect for pets that need love!

Amie said...

Oh no, that's so sad!! Beamer and Lexi!! (right?) I'm sad for your loss. But I was afraid after reading the first paragraph of this blog that maybe you had lost the baby !! still...heartbreaking.

Kam said...

Lindsay,
I'm so sorry, I felt like I was reading what I should be blogging and haven't taken the time to do yet. Shelby was getting ready to take her puppy (5 months old) for a walk Monday and right when she went to put the leash on, he bolted out into the busy street and was hit and killed right in front of her. It was awful! We had trauma for days, but it is a great opportunity to count your blessings and also to realize how wonderful Heavenly Father's creations really are, even if they mostly drive us crazy! Hang in there, we miss you guys a ton! I bet you are looking very cute pregnant!

Amie said...

how are you doing? I'm sorry I don't have your email, but I wanted to mention that I finally reworked my blog and fixed the site feed thing so if you want to try to add my blog to your site feed, it should work now.

The Whitmers said...

I am so sorry to hear about your dogs. My mom called and told me right after it happened and I felt so bad for you. I think that is so hard and so many people just don't understand how much animals actually mean. I am sorry again and hope that everything else is going well for you guys!

Nathan said...

I am so sorry about your pups! I understand the sadness you feel. Pups become like a member of your family and it hurts just as much when they leave. I sure hope that we get to have them in heaven, that is what I am banking on. Wishing you the best!

heather said...

so sad!